Skip to main content

Then and Now...

It was so time...

When I run, I think about this...about sewing, about quilting, about writing about sewing and quilting.  I look forward to my runs, in large part because I can obsess about sewing--what will I make, what I have made, about fabric, about patterns I want and about altering patterns I have.  My mind is otherwise occupied--I have 2 wild boys, ages 2 and 5, and an psychologically draining job.

I started sewing seriously about 16 years ago.  Before that, I'd taken home economics in high school and one semester was sewing; I loved it then but had ambitious plans for college and travel, not a homebody then--sewing wasn't for me.  In 2001 I received my first sewing machine, a Kenmore.  In those days, I sewed at least 8 hours/day, I was making my own patterns and obsessively sewing...as any unemployed, 20 something year old in Portland, OR could--you know in the 90s and early 2000s, it was just the place for "retired" 20 somethings to move (its much too expensive for any 20 year olds to move and live independently without a job these days--but that's a different rant, one for the original Daily Jane blog perhaps).  I even considered a direction change at that time (though some who know me would argue there was no inertia in the first place so any direction would have been better)--I considered joining the then newly formed Portland Fashion Institute.  In the end, I went to medical school, followed by residency & these things suck your creative soul dry--I had to choose, I chose running--sewing was set aside until 1 year ago.  I didn't enjoy my Kenmore anymore though, could be something to do with having never had it serviced causing it to hate me.  Oh well, I was really just looking for an excuse (as many women who fall in love are) when I fell in love with & bought my first & current Bernina B330 and I haven't looked back (except with a bit of regret that I didn't just get the 5 series, but anyway).  I followed with a Bernina L 450 serger several months ago and a couple of weeks ago, I put a hold on a Bernina coverstitch machine, which will become mine in September, and I'm giddy.  I love beautiful tools!

So, this blog will be about sewing and some quilting.  Quilting is a newer endeavor for me.  I have a separate blog for ranting and yet another for knitting.  

Here we go...


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

My favorite tool: The Hemostat

Several years ago, as a medical student, I was gifted an amazing first aid kit from an EMT friend.  It included a cheap hemostat which I never had the misfortune to use.  I broke this out when I was making my first quilt.  Instead of buying the little wooden stick that one uses to pin the quilt sandwich, I tried this.   Ever since, I have discovered a new thing to use it for on almost every sewing project.  Just last week, I used it with my #69 foot (Roll and Shell Hemmer Foot)--I can grab and twist near the end, when the folded part starts to rove to the right which causes the hem to be uneven-- I just grab, lock and twist, get it going again and release at the last second.  I use is for pulling pins at the last minute while sewing, basically anywhere my fingers can't easily get in.  Its also great for tying knots when you have almost non-existent short thread--you just throw a surgeon's knot (which there are tons of videos on YouTube showing one how to instrument tie a sur

Mara's baby quilt

Last fall, I signed up for a class at Modern Domestic , it was a beginning quilting class focused on half square triangles.  My plan was to make a quilt for my friend Erin...well, her first baby, Mara.  It turned out pretty good and I found it pretty fun.  So, I always viewed quilting as something I would pursue...probably...when I got old, haha...well, I guess that time came at the ripe age of 42.  I got the bug and away I was swept.   I enjoyed the tediousness of the work, its fairly mindless work for the most part, but at the same time, Its fair to say that I'm a perfectionist about these types of things so mindless may not be the best way to describe it.  I felt a bit overwhelmed with all the fabric possibilities but I nailed down some nice gender neutral choices as Erin is not much for girly-girly.  My favorite thing about the quilt process is cutting the fabric, and my absolute favorite part is the binding--making it and hand sewing it--I love, love the hand sewing part--